Sunday 27 November 2011

Video Games

I admit it, Chops plays them more than I would like. We do limit screen time (with his grudging agreement) but he'd happily play wii or playstation for most of the day. And when we're out he's always happy to play with the apps on my phone. Time for the bad parent award?!

Or maybe not! It is incredible how much he has learned directly from Mariokart, Lego Star Wars and the like. You can practically see his brain working as he tries to work out his next steps or which character or tool to use for each task. Problem solving. And hand eye coordination and motor control.

Plus, the apps on my phone he enjoys are things like Starfall which is phonics, a dinosaur maths game, a shape recognition game which he's currently doing 3d shapes on, mazes, puzzles, stories. Not a bad way to spend a journey I'd say and we do vary it with a lot of ispy, Simon says and making up our own stories.

So, after beating myself up over his use of the consoles, I'm going to embrace them and be grateful for the things he's learning from them. 21st century learning here and utilising the tools we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment