Wednesday 16 November 2011

Musings about religion

How do you deal with religion/beliefs when talking to children?
Chops asked me out of the blue yesterday what god does. So I responded by telling him that some people believe that god made the earth. 'That's what I believe' he said. So I went on to tell him that others believe in science, other gods etc but he decided god it is. Fine. I accept that's his choice when he's older but at the moment stuff like that doesn't sit well with me when it's just not what I believe. I don't want to indoctrinate him and rubbish other people's beliefs but on the other hand I just want to explain all the scientific theories and tell him religion is a load of...
I want him to have a knowledge of religion and respect other's beliefs but in all honesty, for lots of reasons, I don't want him to go down that path.
Tricky. Not sure of the answer to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment