Saturday 4 February 2012

Musings

I've been thinking a lot recently about how things have changed for me since having the boys.

It's hard to believe that I'm the same person who just started to follow 'what you do' the first time around with regards to feeding and sleeping and all the various baby paraphernalia that you 'need'. If it wasn't for the Chops being very determined to get what he needed (bedsharing, not being in a pushchair, lots of time at the breast) then I have no doubt that my parenting journey would have been totally different and more than likely included lots more nights out and a school application for Chops. 'Because that's what you do'

He taught me to research WHY things are the way they are - why cots and scheduled feeding and cry it out and early weaning and nursery places for 2 year olds are so common. I like to think that the majority of our parenting decisions are backed up by the best evidence we have available. It may be harder work on occasion - but it will pass and their future physical and mental health is worth it!

He taught me to be mindful of exactly who is profiting when you make a decision - particularly baby milk/food manufacturers and shops who sell lots of gadgets to new parents!

He taught me that being true to yourself is important. Following the crowd is not.

He taught me that parents have much more to learn about the world than babies do! I've had to 'unlearn' a lot to get myself on the road to the kind of parent I'd like to be.

He's taught me that people and relationships and time are much more important than things.

And the more that I've learned along the way, the more I've realised how little I know! How exciting to think of the knowledge and experiences that are still to come for our little family!

2 comments: