Friday 23 March 2012

Chops Progress Report and Plans

I've been looking back over my previous plans for Chops and it's amazing how far he has come in such a short time.

Out of interest I've had a flick through the EYFS guide that I have to see what they'd expect him to be able to do and in all honesty, he would laugh if I gave him stuff at that level to do. There are a few things that we are yet to cover - symmetry, 3d shapes and other peoples cultures - but symmetry I already had planned as part of a butterfly/spring theme next week.

In terms of literacy, he got a pack of magnets today which were the 45 high frequency words which children are expected to know by the end of reception (summer 2013 for him). He knew 41 of them already and gave the others a good try. There are also a lot of words in the Y1/2 packs which he knows too.

We got him a clock last week for the playroom which includes the number of minutes past plus quarters and half aswell as the usual 1-12 so he's been trying to decipher that this week. He can reliably tell the hour and half hour now and is getting to grips with quarter past and to. We played the Hickory Dickory Dock board game today to make the most of his interest. He's fascinated by what Daddy was telling him about the clocks changing, more sunny evenings and a later bedtime - for one day at least!

I really love being able to work at his level without worrying about anyone else. I love challenging him too and seeing the sense of pride when he realises what he's capable of.

I just can't imagine doing this kind of observation/reviewing/planning for a whole group of children in school. Hats off to my teacher friends - how you find time to actually teach when doing all of this I just do not know! Relieved my records are purely personal and for the boys to look back on.

Over the next few days I'm continuing with the Spring theme. I have ideas in my head for the life cycle of a butterfly. Plus we collected a lot of twigs at the park last week for making a nest so we need to find time for that.

He's enjoying spot the difference/maze type puzzles at the moment so I'm going to hunt out some more of those.

Then just the usual games, reading, random pages of workbooks and answering the gazillion questions he comes up with every day. I really love seeing the progress both boys are making and am very excited about seeing where their interests and talents take us next.

No comments:

Post a Comment